Lead Carbon Battery Warranty Terms1) The Seller warrants that your battery is free of defects in material and workmanship for the duration of the warranty. It does not cover damage due to abuse, neglect, misuse, fire, accident, collision, wear, explosion, freezing, theft, overcharging, alteration, improper installation, use of special additives, unauthorized attempt to repair, or failure to keep the battery properly maintained.
2) The Batteries must be installed in a dry insulated location with the correct high current cabling. The average working discharge depth must NOT EXCEED a maximum of 70% of battery capacity (leaving a minimum of 30% capacity remaining in the batteries at all times). Batteries set for standby use must kept between 12.2V – 13.6V (per 12v battery / 12v set) and once a month a maintenance charge (refloat) of 13.8-14.0v (per 12v battery / 12v set) must be applied. The Batteries must be charged by a multistage battery charger designed and configured correctly for this battery type, with the maximum voltage applied being 2.30v per cell (at 25 degrees C ambient temp) at no more than the constant rated current (amperage) listed on the battery data sheet for that model battery. If a charging voltage higher than 2.35v per cell (at 25 degrees C ambient temp) has been applied to the battery the warranty is void or a charge / discharge amperage higher than the battery is specified and rated for.
The battery temperatures must be kept between 9 degrees C and 33 degrees C at all times under any / all circumstances, whether they are in use, connected, nu-connected or even just being stored. The batteries must NEVER be left sitting directly on any concrete floors, and if you do want to have them on a concrete floor then please place insulation between the batteries and the floor so that the batteries don't absorb the cold from the floor during colder winter periods. During daily running operation (including overnight) the batteries must be ran within their recommended temperature range of 15-33 degrees C, running colder temps than this can impact the responsiveness of the batteries, their efficiency and storage capacity available.
The batteries must still be give a top up charge at least once every 3 months even if they are being stored and no power is being used or drained from them.
3) A battery monitor must be installed on the system they are a part of that records charging and discharging rates, State of Charge and History for the batteries. If no monitor installed, battery warranty period is only 2 years, instead of the standard 3 yr lead carbon battery warranty when the battery monitoring system is installed and the data from this can be accessed or supplied. Battery monitoring must include full voltage monitoring + battery temp monitoring also to verify that voltages and temps for the batteries have been kept within the specified parameters.
4) The warranty limited to the original purchaser and partners / agents for our batteries and is non-transferable if the batteries are re-sold to a second client (eg as second hand or prior used batteries).
5) Batteries must be returned to Hitek Systems Ltd for any warranty claim (with costs of return paid for by the client or partner). All warranty claims must be accompanied with the original invoice, receipt or order or a copy of.
6) This Pro-rata Warranty provides full repair or replacement within the first year and pro-rata credit on the product purchase price for failures beyond the first year towards repair or replacement.
7) Warranty terms may be updated from time to time. By continuing to use our products you agree to be bound by any amendments made.
8) A user / customer must pay for any / all delivery costs to get any batteries back to Hitek Systems / Hitek Solar NZ (and / or any 3rd party testing company specified by Hitek Systems) and pay for any testing costs in the event of any warranty claim being submitted, whether the batteries are found to in fact be under warranty or not. Hitek Systems will not re-reimburse any out of pocket or consequential or in-consequential losses relating to our batteries or any items we supply. Any warranty claim submitted must also be submitted with proof that the battery charge + discharge voltages and battery temps were always kept within the specified limits listed above.
9) The warranty assumes that the battery is being charged back up regularly on a daily basis, and is not left sitting for a week or more flat or with very low levels of charge. Extended periods of sitting empty or at a very low charge level will damage even the most robust deep cycle battery.
10) In addition to the terms listed here, the user must also fully read our Operations Manual for these batteries and also must agree to the terms listed on that operations manual also for proper usage of these batteries.
Lead Carbon Battery Maintenance (Extract from Operations Manual).
In order to assure service life, the batteries should be correctly inspected and maintained. The maintenance methods of Lead Carbon batteries are recommended as follows:
6.1 Monthly Maintenance
— Keep the battery-room clean.
— Measure and record the ambient temperature of the battery-room.
— Check each battery’s cleanness; check damage and overheating trace of the terminal, container and lid.
— Measure and record the total voltage, absorb currrent and floating current of the battery system.
— Measure and record the minimum, average and maximum battery temperature at 8am, 9pm and 1-6am and check to ensure you are meeting correct charging requirements at the battery temperature as per the operation manual.
— If battery temp is ever below 9 degrees C then it is your responsibility to sort the environment to keep the average temp between 15-33 degrees C (measured at the battery terminal).
— Any time the battery temp is below 11 degrees C (at any time) then they need a full equalization charge.
6.2 Quarterly Maintenance
— Repeat monthly inspection.
— Measure and record floating voltage of every on-line battery. If more than two cells’ voltage is less than 2.18Vpc after temperature compensation, the batteries need to be equalization charged.
— Any time the battery temp is below 10 degrees C then they need a full equalization charge.
6.3 Yearly Maintenance
— Repeat quarterly maintenance and inspection.
— Check whether connectors are loose or not every year and tighten them
— Make a discharge + capacity test to check with exact load every year, discharging 60% of rated capacity.
6.4 Operation and Maintenance Precautions
If the absorb + floating charge voltage is not set correctly (too low or not compensated correctly according to temperature), the battery system will be running in an insufficient charge state for a long period of time. When the electricity is out, the battery may not be able to work correctly because the acid is satirized (stratified / battery stratification) then the battery capacity is decreased as a result. If this situation is sustained over time then you will cause permanent damage to the battery set (not covered by warranty).
If we neglect the performance of rectifier to transfer floating charge to equalization charge. If the rectifier cannot transfer charge modes because of its wrong performance or no adjustment, the battery system is always in an equalization charge state. Thus may cause serious problems for battery, such as water loss, life decrease, thermal runaway, deformation, etc.
Temperature Too low or too high
We have mentioned that too low temperature will affect the capacity of battery.
While too high temperature will also cause problems, such as water loss, life decrease, thermal runaway, deformation, etc.
End Voltage Too low
The end voltage is also an important parameter for battery. The battery shall stop discharge when reach a certain voltage (The normal end voltage is 1.8Vpc for 10 hours rated). If the end voltage is too low, it will be difficult to recharge the battery and decrease the charge efficiency, thus reduce the life of battery.
Long time storage after discharge
If the battery is put aside without charge for a long time after discharge, it will affect the capacity and life of the battery, because some large size PbSO4 will be created in the negative, which are difficult to transfer to active Pb. Thus it will affect battery life and capacity.
It is important that you follow specified maintenence including a detail maintenance record. Failing to comply will void the battery manufacturers warranty. Any warranty claim will be on a pro-rata basis and is subject to all maintenance records first being inspected and verified along with constant and max charge amperage settings, voltage settings and max charge + max discharge amperage settings also being reviewed.
Our 12v 70Ah Lead Carbon batteries cannot exceed 12Amps per hour constant charge rate, and our 6v 300Ah Lead Carbon batteries cannot exceed 50Amps per hour constant charge rate.
Hitek Systems will replace a battery if used within its parameters, the available capacity falls to a level lower than 40% of rated capacity in 10h under no load within 24 months of purchase, or if the capacity falls lower than 40% of rated capacity in 10h under no load within 25 to 36 months of purchase (If battery monitoring system has been present and used for the entire battery life since installation and temp range criteria are met). If Max Charge / Discharge rates or battery temp range parameters are neglected and you are running outside of these parameters then you have void your warranty.
The guarantee will be null and void in the event the battery is installed incorrectly, misused, used or charged / discharged or used outside of our recommended specifications, damaged by external influences (like lightning, fire, current overloads, electrical shorts, power surges or water), altered, repaired (or attempts for repair were made) by others than Hitek Systems or, if and when, identification and / or data has been tampered with.
Hitek Systems shall not be liable for direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages or losses arising out of the sale or relating to the use of this product, and the purchaser / buyer / user assumes all responsibility for all personal injury and property damage resulting from the handling, possession or use of the product. In no event shall the liability of Hitek Systems for any and all claims, including claims of breach of warranty or negligence, exceed the purchase price of the product.
THE ABOVE WARRANTY IS IN LIEU OF ALL OTHER REMEDIES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ACTIONS FOR BREACH OF CONTRACT OR NEGLIGENCE. ALL OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTIBIILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, ARE HEREBY EXCLUDED.
By making sure to follow and stick to our recommendation this will ensure that you get a nice and long service life from the batteries that we supply you. Failure to adhere to this advise and use the correct settings will not only void your warranty but can and often will dramatically shorten the usable life of your batteries. If you are unsure of anything regarding your batteries such as max charge, or discharge voltages or temp range etc, it is solely your responsibility to phone up or email Hitek Systems to have the correct info supplied to you, ignorance for not knowing is not an excuse sorry.
Note: All references in above terms are for both Hitek Solar NZ and Hitek Systems Ltd entities, thanks.